Coinciding with Lord Buddha’s Parinirvana, His Majesty The King graced the installation of the Serto (golden pinnacle) on the Utse (central tower) of the Wangduephodrang dzong on 29th May.
On June 24, 2012, the dzong was severely damaged by fire. While most of the sacred relics and artifacts were recovered, the structure was razed to the ground.
On the Command of His Majesty The King, the dzong reconstruction was started in January 2014. His Majesty granted Nu. 230 million for the reconstruction of the dzong, and the people of Bhutan came together through various initiatives to contribute Nu. 93.828 million. The government of India has committed Nu.1 billion for the re-construction.
The Wangduephodrang dzong was built in the 17th century by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel. The dzong was rebuilt in 1837 after it was damaged by a fire, and by an earthquake in 1897.
The new Utse has been built with modern amenities including earthquake resistant technology.
More than 50 percent of the works for the Dzong is complete.