An 87-year old man was burnt alive in his hut which burnt down to the ground on the night of 25 November in Drugyeling, Paro near the dzong crematorium ground (Hungrel) in Paro.
The incident took place at around 6:30 pm.
On that day, 57-year old Tshering Yangzom and her husband were at home when suddenly the electricity went off. The wife had lit a kerosene lamp and placed it on a table.
The wife went to borrow salt from one of her neighbors and found the house burnt down to ashes on return.
The officer in-charge (OC) of the Paro Police station said “the hut which was made of planks and CGI sheets was totally burnt down and nothing could be saved”.
The Paro Dzongda said, “The remains of the victim was gathered and funeral was done at the Paro crematorium ground the same night. Tshering Yangzom was provided with the first aid kits from the UNICEF and today we will be giving her the semso from His Majesty’s side”.
The incident was first noticed by the police and five fire fighting vehicles were at the scene to combat the fire but all went in vain.
The OC said, “How the fire started was not known but the incident is purely an accident and foul play has been ruled out”.
The deceased is mentally unsound and cannot walk or see properly.
Tshering Yangzom is the second wife of the victim and both are from Langjophakha village under Thimphu dzongkhag but settled in Paro.
The couple has two daughters.