Fire in Thimphu leaves six families homeless

Six families living with the RBP camp in Thimphu have been left homeless after a fire razed their huts at around 10:30 am yesterday.

All the tenants of the huts were civilian staff of RBP. There were no casualties but only a few belongings could be saved. Of the six families consisting of 49 members, 19 are school students.

Some residents and eyewitnesses suggested the fire spread from a butter lamp with others say it might have started from the electric mini circuit breaker (MCB) box

Jaharul Islam, an Indian construction worker engaged within the RBP camp, said he saw a woman waving her hand for help. By then the fire had passed to the next hut.

The construction workers immediately called for help and helped take out three cylinders, two TV sets and a few belongings from the huts. “We tried our best but the fire spread fast,” he said. The fire was brought under control after the rescue team arrived.”

Two gas cylinders exploded in the fire and the rescue team salvaged another two cylinders. The fire was extinguished by noon. Few religious items, statues and some cash were recovered.

“As a temporary measure, the victims will be accommodated in empty rooms within the RBP HQ campus and necessary needs will be provided,” Police Chief, Colonel Chimmi Dorji said.

The Gyalpoi Zimpon’s office granted Semso to the affected families. The affected students were also given school stationeries, books and uniform. The Woman’s Association of RBP is also helping the victims.

Check Also

The tale of Bhutan’s Romeo and Juliet to go international

The renowned story of Bhutan’s Romeo and Juliet, Gasa Lami Singye and Changyul Boom Galam …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *