Singapore returned Bhutanese arrested for attempted trafficking of two Bhutanese women and 10 burglaries

The Thimphu police have arrested a 28-year-old man for an attempted case of human trafficking where he planned to send two Bhutanese girls to his contact in Johor, Malaysia.

According to police, the suspect served two years 10 months and 17 days in West Admiralty Prison, Singapore (12 April 2013 to 29 February 2016) and had been deported to Bhutan in March this year.

He was arrested by Cantamen police, Singapore, on 12 April, 2013 for a series of house break-ins. He was also charged for over staying (three months) without a valid visa. He had been sentenced to four years and three months but was deported to Bhutan before the term.

Thimphu police arrested the suspect on July 19 from Changangkha Norling building after receiving a complaint from a security guard of Ministry of economic affairs that an unidentified person were lurking in the office.

Police found on the suspect a laptop bag containing a steel rod, two screwdrivers, a knife and a pair of gloves. Police also recovered stolen property from his rented apartment in Taba the next day. He also confessed to nine other burglary cases in Thimphu, according to police.

During investigation, police came across a chat record with a Malaysian man. The chat record indicated that the suspect was looking to send Bhutanese women to Malaysia. It was also learned that the suspect had managed to get two girls (sisters in their early 20’s) and even made ready their passports.

The passports were recovered from his apartment in Taba. Police said the suspect confessed to have met one girl in a karaoke bar where she was working as a part time waitress.

He convinced the girl with attractive job opportunities, which included free accommodation, food, travel expenses and pocket money in Singapore. The girl then asked her sister to join in.

The suspect and the Malaysian man planned to take the two girls to Malaysia and then to Johor, a thriving entertainment area at the border with Singapore.

Police said the Malaysian man had asked for pictures of two girls and the suspect had managed to send one. Police have called the two girls staying in Samtse and Samdrupjongkhar for further investigation.

Police said the suspect was raised by his grandparents and aunty, a nurse, after his parents divorced when he was three. After completing class XII from Nima higher secondary school, the suspect went to Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia in 2010 looking for job opportunities.

Check Also

Translation of His Majesty’s Address at the ceremony to present the Order of Druk Gyalpo to Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi

On the occasion of the visit of the Prime Minister of India, His Excellency Shri …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *